Fall @ Kent Library
Kent Library is making changes to keep everyone safe.
Fall Library FAQ:
1. Will Kent Library be open during the Fall?
Library hours: https://library.semo.edu/about-us/hours
2. Will study rooms/space be available?
Yes. Furniture has been rearranged to promote social distancing, meaning fewer students at tables and in study rooms.
3. Will I be able to reserve a study room?
Yes. Reservations can be made through the “Study Rooms” Quick Link at https://library.semo.edu
Study rooms are smaller spaces, with new capacity limits. Most of study rooms only have space for 2 students at once. Two 3rd floor study rooms are large enough for 4-6 students.
4. Are face coverings required in Kent Library when I’m by myself?
Yes. Face coverings are required inside all Southeast’s buildings. Kent Library is a space shared by many and protecting one another is important.
5. What about areas such as Reference, the Heather MacDonald Greene Multimedia Center and Special Collections and Archives?
In-person Reference help is on the 3rd floor. You can also use chat reference or ask for a Zoom meeting. Due to their smaller spaces, appointments are requested at the Heather MacDonald Green Multimedia Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Special Collections & Archives (email@example.com) . See the hours web-page for area hours.
6. Can I go to the collection shelves, and grab books off the shelf?
No. For the safety of everyone, all the Library’s collections are currently closed. To request books, or other items, use the library catalog’s “Request It” button for on-shelf holds. You’ll get an email when your item(s) are ready for pickup at the Circulation Desk.
For “on-demand” requests, bring a list of call numbers and a few words of the title to the Circulation Desk and we’ll immediately pull those items for you.
7. What if I want to browse the books?
You can browse online. Find a book or dvd you like in the catalog, click on the call number, and you can virtually scan other items in that same area. For Best Sellers and New Books, please browse online at: https://semo.libguides.com/bestsellers
8. Will Mississippi Mugs (coffee cart) be open?
Yes. Please see our hours page.
9. What is Kent Library doing to keep me safe?
Like you, librarians and staff are wearing face coverings, social distancing, and frequently washing our hands. We are also disinfecting and cleaning shared spaces and limiting access to hard-to-clean areas.
10. Can I attend Zoom classes in the library?
Yes. You can bring your own laptop, or checkout a student laptop from the Circulation Desk and find a quiet place anywhere in the library. You might want to bring your headphones too.
A study room on the main floor (KL249A) has been set aside for Zoom class use Monday-Thursday, 8:00am–8:00pm and Fridays, 8:00am-5pm.
11. Can I attend Zoom classes in the computer lab?
Contact the computer lab assistant at 573-651-2812 or the IT Help Desk.