Skip to main content

Albert and Leming Halls Ledgers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 2008.015.003

Scope and Contents

Sixteen ledgers containing the records of the financial dealings of Albert and Leming Halls at Missouri State Normal School—Third District and Southeast Missouri State Teachers College. Includes payroll ledgers, accounts payable and receivable ledgers, and minute books. Each ledger contains different types of information, even though some ledgers are multi-volume sets. Each of the individual ledgers is described below in chronological order.

Dates

  • 1906-1948

Rights Statement

Materials in this collection may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).

Biographical / Historical

Due to a lack of boarding accommodations for students during the early years of the Normal School and the decision in 1904 by the Missouri legislature not to fund Cape’s dormitory-building projects, Louis Houck, L. J. Albert, and M. E. Leming formed the Normal Dormitory Association. Its purpose was to fund and oversee the building of two dormitories on the south side of Normal Avenue. Leming, Albert, and Houck loaned the Normal School $40,000 and $50,000, respectively, enabling the school to construct the Leming and Albert Hall dormitories.

By September 1904, work had started on Albert Hall, a men’s dormitory. On March 7 of the following year workers completed the building. Albert Hall served temporarily as the home of women who were boarding at the school until the completion of Leming Hall. Leming Hall, a women’s dormitory, was completed shortly after Albert Hall.

During this time the Normal Dormitory Company leased the dorms to the school for $500 per year. In 1911, the Missouri legislature finally appropriated funding in the amount of $85,000, but budget shortfalls prevented the purchase until May 1912 when the legislature made a partial payment of $30,000. In January 1913, the legislature made final payment on the dormitory bonds and acquisition of the dormitories finally occurred. They officially became part of the State Normal School.

Prior to World War I and during the conflict, the college utilized Albert Hall as a barracks for students in the Student Army Training Program. During the 1923-1924 school year the college remodeled and refurnished the interior of Albert Hall and turned it back into a dormitory for women, accommodating eighty students. In 1943, the Navy secured use of the dorm to house the students enrolled in the V-12 program.

The college razed Albert Hall in the early months of 1960 to accommodate a new dormitory, Dearmont Quadrangle; Leming Hall was razed in the late 1970s in order to make way for the construction of the new University Center.

Extent

16 Ledgers

Overview

Sixteen ledgers containing the records of the financial dealings or daily administration of Albert and Leming Halls at Missouri State Normal School—Third District and Southeast Missouri State Teachers College. Includes payroll ledgers, accounts payable and receivable ledgers, and minute books.

Provenance

University Archives
Title
Albert and Leming Halls Ledgers 1906-1948
Status
Completed
Author
Esther H. Bohnert
Date
March 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
One University Plaza, MS 4600
Cape Girardeau Missouri 63701 United States
5736512245