Home >> Collections>>  Regional History Guide-U >> United Daughters of the Confederacy, Cape Girardeau Chapter #629, Scrapbook

Home Collections Online Exhibits Personnel Gifts/Donations Ask the Archives Digital Collections FB
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Cape Girardeau Chapter #629, Scrapbook
1906-1949, [1948-1949]
 
Extent: 1 item
 
Accession Number: 2011.035
 
Abstract: Newspaper clippings, photographs, typed manuscripts and ephemera pertaining to the history of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Cape Girardeau Chapter #629, 1891-1949.
 
Processed by: Dr. Lisa K. Speer, November 2011
 
Repository: Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
Phone: (573) 651-2245; Fax: (573) 651-2666; Email: semoarchives@semo.edu
 
Provenance: Gift of Leland Shivelbine and Scott Shivelbine, November 2011.
 
Citation: United Daughters of the Confederacy, Cape Girardeau Chapter #629 Scrapbook, Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
 
Restrictions: None.
 
Other Relevant Collections:
United Daughters of the Confederacy Collection, James B. Gantt Chapter, 1832-1944. 2.0 linear feet. 2007.066.
United Daughters of the Confederacy Scrapbook, 1861-1952. 2.0 linear feet. 2001.071.
 
Organizational Sketch
 
The Daughters of the Confederacy (D.O.C.) was established on June 15, 1891, at the Riverview Hotel. Mary Hunter Giboney (Mrs. Louis) Houck founded the chapter and served as the organizationís first president. Other original officers were: Mrs. Sebastian Albert (1st Vice President); Mrs. W. B. Wilson (2nd Vice President); Mrs. N. C. Frissell (3rd Vice President); Mrs. R. L. Wilson (Treasurer); and Miss Emma Wathen (Secretary). Mr. Louis Houck and Mr. N. C. Frissell were honorary members. In 1902, the D.O.C. merged with the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and adopted this organizationís name. The Cape Girardeau Chapter (#629) of the United Daughters of the Confederacy had 26 charter members, including several of the original D.O.C. members. Chapter #629 actively promoted the goals of the national U.D.C. through charity work with local veterans and the state veteransí home in Higginsville, Missouri, and fundraising for war memorials around the state and nation. The Cape Girardeau Confederate Memorial is the result of 20 years of fundraising by the members of Chapter #629.
 
Scope and Content Note
 
Newspaper clippings, photographs, typed manuscripts and ephemera pertaining to the history of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Cape Girardeau Chapter #629, 1891-1949. The scrapbook appears to have been compiled circa 1949 by chapter historian, Sadie T. Kent. A certificate included in the scrapbook indicates that it was entered into a scrapbook contest at the 1949 Missouri UDC convention in Marshall, MO.
 
Archivists Note: The processing archivist unbound the scrapbook and interleaved each page with acid free paper in order to preserve the original order of the scrapbook and prevent further deterioration. News clippings that had fallen out of the scrapbook were photocopied and discarded. The photocopies of the clippings were placed with the pages that the news clippings were originally pasted on.
 
Rules or Conventions: Finding Aid prepared using DACS
Kent Library
Copyright 2009         Southeast Missouri State University