Home >>Collections   >> Regional History Guide-C >> Cape Girardeau District Territorial Papers

Home Collections Online Exhibits Personnel Gifts/Donations Ask the Archives Digital Collections FB
Cape Girardeau District Territorial Papers
1797-1821
 
Extent: 1 reel
 
Accession Number:  2008.017
 
Abstract: Microfilm copy of various Cape Girardeau district territorial court documents.
 
Processed by: Amber Miranda, March 2008
 
Repository: Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
Phone: (573) 651-2245 Fax: (573) 651-2666 Email: semoarchives@semo.edu
 
Provenance: Documents created by the Cape Girardeau district territorial court.
 
Citation: Cape Girardeau District Territorial Papers, Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
 
Restrictions: Only available on microfilm
 
Historical Note
 
In the 1730s, a Frenchman named Jean Baptiste Girardot, for whom Cape Girardeau is named, established a trading post on the west bank of the Mississippi River. However, Girardot was a trader, not a settler, and by the middle 1700s Girardot had moved on. In 1793, the Spanish Government gave Frenchman Louis Lorimier a land grant to establish another trading post near the river, a few miles south of the site previously established by Girardot. Early in 1806, the town of Cape Girardeau was laid out in lots. A petition for incorporation was presented in 1808. Population expansion at first was slow; however, the age of steamboats allowed easy movement of manufactured goods on the river, which expedited growth. When the railroads were completed, it is said that the city's population doubled in just a few months.
 
Scope and Content Note
 
Microfilm copy of various Cape Girardeau district territorial court documents:
Memorandum books of Cape Girardeau District court of common pleas, 1808-1816
Minute Book, 1809-1810
Fee Book Circuit, 1814-1821
List of Commissioned Officers, 1815
Field Notes, 1817-1839
Circuit Court Proceedings, 1838
 
Rules or Conventions:  Finding Aid prepared using DACS
 
Kent Library
Copyright 2009         Southeast Missouri State University