Home >>Collections   >> Regional History Guide-S >> Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook

Home Collections Online Exhibits Personnel Gifts/Donations Ask the Archives Digital Collections FB
Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook
1932-1949
 
Extent:  1 item
 
Accession Number: 2007.169
 
Abstract: Articles, photographs, programs, and booklets regarding Ste. Genevieve and the bicentennial celebration in 1935.
 
Processed by: Brooke Culler, November 2007
 
Repository: Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
Phone: (573) 651-2245; Fax: (573) 651-2666; Email: semoarchives@semo.edu
 
Provenance:  Unknown
 
Citation:  Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook, Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
 
Restrictions: None
 
Other Relevant Collections:
Ste. Genevieve Archives (Microfilm), 1756-1930;
Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook, 1936-1940;
 
Historical Note
 
Ste. Genevieve is the oldest permanent settlement in Missouri founded in the late 1740s about two miles south of its present location on the banks of the Mississippi River. In 1763 the French ceded the land east of the Mississippi to Great Britain in the Treaty of Paris. Creoles from Canada and east of the Mississippi flocked to Ste. Genevieve after George III issued the Royal Proclamation of 1763. After settling on the west bank the French and Creole settlers were to discover that France had also secretly turned over the west bank to Spain to form Louisiana (New Spain) via the secret Treaty of Fontainebleau (1762) although the community retained the French language and character. Following a flood in 1785, the town moved from its initial location immediately next to the Mississippi about a half-mile inland and two miles north. The oldest buildings of Ste. Genevieve (which are described as "French colonial") were all built during the Spanish rule. The most distinctive buildings during this period was the "vertical log" construction where walls of buildings were built based on posts dug into the ground.
 
Scope and Content Note
 
Articles, photographs, programs, and booklets regarding Ste. Genevieve and the bicentennial celebration in 1935.
 
Rules or Conventions: Finding aid prepared using DACS
Kent Library
Copyright 2009         Southeast Missouri State University