Home >>Collections   >> Regional History Guide-C >> Cape Girardeau Scrapbooks >> Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook

Home Collections Online Exhibits Personnel Gifts/Donations Ask the Archives Digital Collections FB
Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook
1936-1940
 
Extent:  1 item
 
Accession Number: 2007.131
 
Abstract: Newspaper articles concerning events in Cape Girardeau and postcards of Ste. Genevieve.
 
Processed by: Brooke Culler, November 2007
 
Repository: Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
Phone: (573) 651-2245; Fax: (573) 651-2666; Email: semoarchives@semo.edu
 
Citation:  Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook, Special Collections and Archives, Southeast Missouri State University
 
Restrictions: None
 
Other Relevant Collections:
Ste. Genevieve Archives (Microfilm), 1756-1930;
Ste. Genevieve Scrapbook, 1936-1940;
Cape Girardeau County, [MO], The History of the Government of, Scrapbook, 10 Jan 1946;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, 1927-1933;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, 1935-1946;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, 1942-1951;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, 1968;
Cape Girardeau Bridge Scrapbook, 1926-1942;
Cape Girardeau-Festivals, Etc. Scrapbook, 1934;
Cape Girardeau Educators Scrapbook, 1963-1970;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, Historic Facts About Early, 1946;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, Historic Markers of, 1946-1949;
(Cape Girardeau) Sesquicentennial Scrapbook, 1956;
Cape (Girardeau) Scrapbook, Stories of,  c.1934;
Cape Girardeau Scrapbook, The Story of, Undated;

Cape Girardeau and Southeast Missouri Scrapbook, 1932-1933;
 
Historical Note
 
In the 1730s, a Frenchman named Jean Baptiste Girardot, for whom Cape Girardeau is named, established a trading post on the west bank of the Mississippi River. However, Girardot was a trader, not a settler, and by the middle 1700s Girardot had moved on. In 1793, the Spanish Government gave Frenchman Louis Lorimier a land grant to establish another trading post near the river, a few miles south of the site previously established by Girardot. Early in 1806, the town of Cape Girardeau was laid out in lots. A petition for incorporation was presented in 1808. Population expansion at first was slow; however, the age of steamboats allowed easy movement of manufactured goods on the river, which expedited growth. When the railroads were completed, it is said that the city's population doubled in just a few months.

Ste. Genevieve is the oldest permanent settlement in Missouri founded in the late 1740s about two miles south of its present location on the banks of the Mississippi River. Creoles from Canada and east of the Mississippi flocked to Ste. Genevieve after George III issued the Royal Proclamation of 1763. Following a flood in 1785, the town moved from its initial location immediately next to the Mississippi about a half-mile inland and two miles north. The most distinctive buildings during this period was the "vertical log" construction where walls of buildings were built based on posts dug into the ground
 
Scope and Content Note
 
Newspaper articles concerning events in Cape Girardeau and postcards of Ste. Genevieve.
Rules or Conventions: Finding Aid prepared using DACS
Kent Library
Copyright 2009         Southeast Missouri State University