This panel depicts the original Normal School building, when the University was known first as the Southeast Missouri State Normal School and later as the Missouri State Normal School—Third District. Mark Twain historically mentioned seeing Old Normal from his travels on the Mississippi River as a steamboat pilot in his book, Life on the Mississippi. The Normal School building burned down in 1902 and was replaced in 1906 by Academic Hall.
The stained glass panel highlighted here once hung in the east window of Kent Library when it was originally installed in 1939. In 1968, the panes were placed into walnut frames and displayed on the mezzanine level of the renovated library until 2007 when they were removed for safety during library remodeling.